Moodle 512

Monday, October 31, 2016

Journal #5 Twitter

I believe that Twitter can be used as a very effective educational tool. As I spent about an hour getting used to it (I did not own a twitter account before this class) I started to see the potential that lies within the popular mobile app. I believe that the “moments” tab can be one of the most interesting. Although the “moments” tab is very random and not very educational in nature, it keeps up with trending topics. This could be good when it comes down to following current world events or news.
I was thinking that it could be very possible to assign students current event assignments that revolved around world situations or even important events happening. Also, I can see it as a way to have collaborative discussions between students. Since you are able to tweet AT people, it is expected that they will have the ability to have their own opinions on certain events or even topics. I do believe that it can have draw backs though as with other social media approaches. This would be because you would have to strictly monitor and administrate the questions and responses to make sure everyone is taking the assignment seriously. Other than that, I believe twitter can be used very effectively if done right!

Can twitter groups be controlled by an admin?
Yes you can create “lists” that allow you to control who can subscribe to certain tweeting groups or twitter accounts that you might be interested in making contact with.

Do you think that twitter can be used effectively?

Yes I do believe it can, especially with how often the students are on their phone (hours per day) I believe that if done well it might be even more effective than traditional homework strategies. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't believe I've experienced the "moments" tab, so I will have to look for it, and learn more about this feature. I do agree with your idea of students using Twitter for current event assignments. And yes, Twitter use in the classroom would have to be more heavily monitored, as student engagement would increase.

    ReplyDelete